forum.vmspython.org Forum Index forum.vmspython.org
Forum system

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with temporary file names

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vmspython.org Forum Index -> MySQL for OpenVMS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaanS

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Problems with temporary file names Reply with quote

I'm trying to resurrect a MySQL installation that went 'poof'* on an 8.4 Alpha, using the V5.1.46 kit from vmsmysql.org. Thanks to all the information there, I've managed to get mysqld up and running. Unfortunately, there's one issue that I haven't been able to fix.

MySQL regularly tries, and fails, to create temporary files with a '#' in the filename. A sample error message is:
Code:
MySQL error: 1; Can't create/write to file '/mysql051_root/mysql_server/tmp/#sql218048b3_55_0.MYI' (Errcode: 5)

Files without the '#' are being created in MYSQL051_ROOT:[MYSQL_SERVER.TMP], so I'm looking at the '#' as the most likely culprit.

I've turned off binary logging for MySQL, as that seemed to cause issues with a '.~reg~' file (I wouldn't be surprised if these issues share a root cause...). I've also edited FIRST_RUN_MYSQLD.COM to use direct inserts into 'db' and 'user', instead of temporary tables. And I've modified the LIBZ_SHR[32|64] definitions in LOGICALS.COM to reflect our environment. As far as I'm aware, every other part of my installation is still at its default.

Has anyone every experienced a similar issue, or have any ideas on how to solve it?

Thanks in advance,

Daan

*) It was there a few months ago, and now it's gone. Nobody knows why...
bisonmalembouche

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but are you sure this Mysql kit comes from JFP ?

I remember that when he begun his work on porting Mysql on VMS, his very first work was to remove those # from the filenames of temporary files, as this is not possible in a VMS filename.
I know that some other people have too, ported Mysql to VMS, and there was the problem of the # character.

There is too, a possibility that JFP made a mistake, but could you double-check ?

Regards
jfp

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Daan,

Sorry, this was a change to fix another problem:
See note http://forum.vmspython.org/viewtopic.php?t=226

MySQL database should be on an ODS-5 disk.

If you have no ODS-5 disk you can create one using LD.

Regards,

Jean-François
DaanS

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@bisonmalembouche: that was one of the first things I checked, so I hope it's not too dumb Wink. I'm not 100% sure how to verify that my kit is "Genuine JFP", but at least it seems to say "JFP" in all the right places.

@JFP: thanks for the reply. I'll see what a reinstall brings me.

Does anyone happen to know who maintains vmsmysql.org? I've tried registering there to add a hint about the ODS-5 requirement, but it won't let me...

Regards,

Daan
jfp

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have disabled account creation on the wikis (vmspython and vmsmysql) due to spamer robots.

I can create an account for you if you want.

JF
DaanS

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be nice.

After reinstalling to ODS-5, all filename related issues dissapeared. Thanks for the help!

By the way, I am experiencing the same issue that berryman reported here. It's not a showstopper for me, so I'm not creating a separate topic for it. But let me know if you'd like any information for testing purposes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vmspython.org Forum Index -> MySQL for OpenVMS All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: