forum.vmspython.org Forum Index forum.vmspython.org
Forum system

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DocXMLRPCServer buffered I/O overhead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vmspython.org Forum Index -> Python for OpenVMS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colin Brown

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: DocXMLRPCServer buffered I/O overhead Reply with quote

I am wondering why if I create a simple instance of a DocXMLRPCServer and then serve_forever do I get a buffered I/O count that increases faster than once per second? I can create a simple TCP socket, bind, listen, accept that does not use buffered I/O while waiting.
Colin Brown

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved! Crude SockerServer implementation of serve_forever is responsible (serve_forever takes a parameter that is the timeout value to select.select).
Setting a nice high number (like 1e6) stops the idle state buffered I/O's.

BaseServer.serve_forever(poll_interval=0.5)
Handle requests until an explicit shutdown() request. Polls for shutdown every poll_interval seconds.

def serve_forever(self, poll_interval=0.5):
"""Handle one request at a time until shutdown.

Polls for shutdown every poll_interval seconds. Ignores
self.timeout. If you need to do periodic tasks, do them in
another thread.
"""
self.__serving = True
self.__is_shut_down.clear()
while self.__serving:
# XXX: Consider using another file descriptor or
# connecting to the socket to wake this up instead of
# polling. Polling reduces our responsiveness to a
# shutdown request and wastes cpu at all other times.
r, w, e = select.select([self], [], [], poll_interval)
if r:
self._handle_request_noblock()
self.__is_shut_down.set()

select.select(rlist, wlist, xlist[, timeout])
This is a straightforward interface to the Unix select() system call. The first three arguments are sequences of ‘waitable objects’: either integers representing file descriptors or objects with a parameterless method named fileno() returning such an integer:

· rlist: wait until ready for reading
· wlist: wait until ready for writing
· xlist: wait for an “exceptional condition” (see the manual page for what your system considers such a condition)
Empty sequences are allowed, but acceptance of three empty sequences is platform-dependent. (It is known to work on Unix but not on Windows.) The optional timeout argument specifies a time-out as a floating point number in seconds. When the timeout argument is omitted the function blocks until at least one file descriptor is ready. A time-out value of zero specifies a poll and never blocks.
jescab

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I guess you do not need the shutdown feature (that is only polled at timeout from the I/O) ?

And besides, there is realy no need for a timeout that is longer then the mean time between "real" I/O's, at which time the I/O will complete anyway.
Most systems (that are not powered down Smile ) has 100s or 1000s of bufIOs per seconds anyway.
A few "empty" I/O's can hardly make that a big difference, can it?

Just trying to understand the nature of the problem you wanted to solve. Smile
Colin Brown

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my initial problem was understanding that "serve_forever" is actually implemented as "serve_until_shutdown". You are correct in that a timeout longer than the maximum application idle time is all that is required to not incur the repeated select call timeouts but if I have a server doing say a thousand jobs a day, I am still saving over 160,000 totally pointless buffered I/Os by stopping the half second timeouts when I "serve_forever".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vmspython.org Forum Index -> Python for OpenVMS All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: