forum.vmspython.org Forum Index forum.vmspython.org
Forum system

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

multi-threading question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vmspython.org Forum Index -> Python for OpenVMS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlaroche-ca

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: multi-threading question Reply with quote

Hello list members!

I have a fairly big Python application running on VMS that creates threads. The threads work fine, except that they're confined to only one CPU/core. A colleague of mine modified one of his applications written in C to make it multi-threaded, and he had to link with qualifier
Quote:
/threads_enable=(MULTIPLE_KERNEL_THREADS,UPCALLS)

Would you know how easy (or difficult) it would be to build the interpreter using this qualifier?

Thanks in advance.
jfp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

The link procedure :
https://repos.sysgroup.fr/OpenVMS/cpython27/files/5fe77cb382a7eea60bae2d89eead74360300e6ba/vms/link_py.com

contains a comment about upcalls disabled (problem on OpenVMS 8.3).

But if you want to try it you can use the comment
Code:
set image /flags=upcalls python_root:[vms.bin]python.exe

JF
dlaroche-ca

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried the set image command and it is an improvement. I'm running a test script on an rx2800 i2 with one 4-core CPU; VMS version is 8.4. The script starts 8 threads, each computing logarithms in a tight loop. Each thread prints a status line once in a while and I can see that all threads are running.

What's surprising though is that I don't see all 4 cores being busy. Command monitor process/topcpu shows that the process doesn't go over 200%, and this is confirmed with command show system/full/multithread that shows only two cores being active, the other two being in hibernate state.

Would you see a reason why the python executable is not using all the cores?

Thanks!
dlaroche-ca

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the answer to my last question after posting it. The VMS license installed on the server is for two units only.

But I have a more general question. Would you know if VMS system services are thread safe? For example I can imagine that issuing a QIO on the same mailbox from two different threads could be problematic, but would QIOs to different mailboxes be safe?

Thanks again.
EisW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reason for disabling /threads_enable=upcalls Reply with quote

Thank you for the helpful information in this topic, this saved me a lot of time!

I would like to have more info about possible problems with the /threads_enable=upcalls flag on python.exe:

Quote:
The link procedure :
https://repos.sysgroup.fr/OpenVMS/cpython27/files/5fe77cb382a7eea60bae2d89eead74360300e6ba/vms/link_py.com

contains a comment about upcalls disabled (problem on OpenVMS 8.3).

We require to use the link flag /threads_enable=upcalls. With help of this forum topic I found, that our python.exe does not have it. Setting the flag as suggestet with
Code:

set image /flags=upcalls python_root:[vms.bin]python.exe

works fine (until now tested only on OpenVMS8.4, but we have 8.3 too, I will test it)

We use successfully c++ code (no python) with this flag enabled in production environment on OpenVMS 8.3 and 8.4 and had never problems...

My Question: Are there any further infos regarding these problems with python?

Best regards
Tino
jfp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tino,

Unfortunately I don't remember what was the problem.

But if enable upcall work for you that's a good new.

I know others sites which have also enable upcall without any known problem.

JF
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vmspython.org Forum Index -> Python for OpenVMS All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: