forum.vmspython.org Forum Index forum.vmspython.org
Forum system

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hg distributed SCM on VMS (uses Python)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vmspython.org Forum Index -> Python for OpenVMS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: hg distributed SCM on VMS (uses Python) Reply with quote

Hi,
I am trying to get hg (http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/) working on VMS. It needs Python. I have installed Python 2.5.0 on VMS.
hg uses os.fork(), or.symlinks() etc... Is there any plans to support using some VMS equivalents (I guess PERL does that, not too sure though).
An area where hg fails is in os.stat() when a file name has ':', is it a known issue?

best regards,
dky
jfp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

os.fork() is not supported on VMS because VMS don't support C fork.
And I'm sure that PERL doesn't support fork.

os.symlink() was supported in previous Python kit, but was remove in the latest kit because it seem that the support of symlink on VMS (in the crtl) have some problem. But this can be reintegrate, very easy...

using : in a filename is a problem on OpenVMS probably because this the device separator.

JF
dky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: hg porting issues Reply with quote

Hi,
I am using this thread to discuss issues in Python I am facing during the porting of hg to OpenVMS.

There is a call in hg (mercurial) which leads to:
/python_root/lib/distutils/command/build_ext.py (Line #619)
sysconfig.get_config_var('SO') which returns "NoneType". I guess that it should be returning "EXE" or (".EXE"). I fixed it by hardcoding to "EXE" to go beyond.

Now, I have hit os.fork(). Is it possible to use threads to fake a fork(). I wonder how this is handled on Windows. Even they (the OS) do not have a native fork() and yet CYGWIN, MKS toolkit have fork() implemented in their UNIX emulation layer.

As for symlinks(), I believe that VMS has hardlinks implemented. Will check that as an alternative for symlink()

-dk
jfp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: hg porting issues Reply with quote

dky wrote:

Now, I have hit os.fork(). Is it possible to use threads to fake a fork(). I wonder how this is handled on Windows. Even they (the OS) do not have a native fork() and yet CYGWIN, MKS toolkit have fork() implemented in their UNIX emulation layer.

But CYGWIN doesn't run on VMS Rolling Eyes
I'm not aware of any port of fork() on VMS.
fork() and threads don't have the same behaviour, so it depend of the application. Sometime it is doable to replace a fork with a spawn.

dky wrote:

As for symlinks(), I believe that VMS has hardlinks implemented. Will check that as an alternative for symlink()

symlink() can be easily be back in Python, I can build a new kit with symlink() in a couple of hours.
Let me know if you really need it quickly, if not I will fix this in the next maintenance kit.

JF
dky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for offering to build python with symlinks. I do not need it immediately. I can wait. I am working on getting the basic hg working on VMS.
I hope the 'SO' extension to ".EXE' will also be taken care in the next build. I can then remove my dirty hacks.
-dk
jfp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dky wrote:
Thanks for offering to build python with symlinks. I do not need it immediately. I can wait. I am working on getting the basic hg working on VMS.

Ok, I will do this in the next kit.
dky wrote:
I hope the 'SO' extension to ".EXE' will also be taken care in the next build. I can then remove my dirty hacks.

I will have to take a look at what sysconfig.get_config_var('SO') is suppose to do and how.
I will, also, try to fix this for the next kit.

JF
jfp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any progress?
jfp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done the port Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vmspython.org Forum Index -> Python for OpenVMS All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: