forum.vmspython.org Forum Index forum.vmspython.org
Forum system

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory usage for MYSQL051_SERVER process

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vmspython.org Forum Index -> MySQL for OpenVMS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsgdavid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Memory usage for MYSQL051_SERVER process Reply with quote

I am running MYSQL 5.1.22-rc on an Integrity RX2620 system which is running OpenVMS 8.3. The system has 2 GB of RAM.

I have noticed that the overall memory usage on the system grows over time ranging from about 40% after a reboot to at least 78% in under two months.

After further investigation, I have seen that the number of pages in the working set has increased for several processes. One of these is the MYSQL051_SERVER process. The number of pages in the working set has increased from 89616 (after a reboot) to 316144. I am wondering if this is something that I should be concerned about and if this is going to result in the need for periodic reboots (or restarting MYSQL).

I am trying to investigate further to see what happens when I restart MYSQL and exactly how this grows over time. Maybe it will taper off at a certain level?

Does anyone have any experience with this or have any suggestions as to what I should be looking at?
bisonmalembouche

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Are you up to date with your VMS patches ?

For the process mysql, can you post the pgflquota initial and used ?

Can you post, if your Mysql process has the pid 2B4

wr sys$output f$getjpi("2b4","pgflquota")
wr sys$output f$getjpi("2B4","pagfilcnt")

It seems there is a memory leak, until this is fixed, a workaround can be to purge the working set regularly. If you do so, add some pagefile before.

$ help system $purgws

System_Services

$PURGWS

Removes a specified range of pages from the current working set
of the calling process to make room for pages required by a new
program segment.

Format

SYS$PURGWS inadr

C Prototype

int sys$purgws (struct _va_range *inadr);

Additional information available:

Argument

System_Services $PURGWS Subtopic?
System_Services Subtopic?
Topic?
$
jfp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MySQL has many internal caches which grow over time, so it is probably difficult to decide if it is a memory leak or a normal behavior.

You can, restart it, time to time if it is a problem, or lower the various caches size.

JF
JeremyBegg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Increase RAM Reply with quote

Hi David,

No doubt JFP is correct and what you're seeing is likely to be normal behaviour.

At a more general level I would suggest you increase the RAM in your Integrity server. 2GB is very low for Integrity; I'd be putting another 2GB-4GB in it if you can.

Regards,
Jeremy Begg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vmspython.org Forum Index -> MySQL for OpenVMS All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: