forum.vmspython.org Forum Index forum.vmspython.org
Forum system

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Python 2.5 on AlphaServer 1000 4/200

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vmspython.org Forum Index -> Python for OpenVMS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oneelkruns

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Python 2.5 on AlphaServer 1000 4/200 Reply with quote

I got Python 2.5 to install and run but I get warnings about emulated machine instructions and then the interpreter is incredibly slow.

My question is.. does anyone have a python executable that will not use emulated instructions on an AlphaServer 1000 4/200?

Thanks!

Ron
jfp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Python is build using the following optimize qualifiers:
Code:
/optimize=(level=5,tune=ev56)/architecture=ev56

May I suggest you send you AlphaServer 1000 4/200 to a museum and got a newer system Laughing

If you have a C compiler on your system you can rebuild from source, it's fairly easy.

If you don't have one, I can rebuild for you a special pythonshr image but my system is running OpenVMS 7.3-2

JF
oneelkruns

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Python 2.5 on AlphaServer 1000 4/200 Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. It is because the Alpha belongs in a museum that I'm using it :)

I have the hobbyist license, OpenVMS 7.3-1, but it does include the C compiler. If I can find the link to the source again I'll give it a go. I wouldn't expect it to be too difficult. Any pointers appreciated, though.

Ron
jfp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
Source can be download from
http://vmspython.dyndns.org/anonymous/kits/sources/

You need an ODS5 disk.

Just restore the saveset include in the zip file.

Then go to Python-2^.5^.1.vms directory and do @build_all
then wait...

You can try to just rebuild pythonshr.exe (and python.exe).

Idea before launch rebuild_all.com do a spawn because the procedure redefine all the python logicals, so after the build you just do a logout to restore the correct environment.

Then you can replace the pythonshr.exe and python.exe provide in the kit by those you have rebuild.

Anyway, I suspect that Python will remain slow on such system
Rolling Eyes

JF
oneelkruns

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Python 2.5 on AlphaServer 1000 4/200 Reply with quote

You presume too much on my knowledge of VMS. It is unclear to me how to restore the PYTHON-2_5-VMS-SRC.BCK file I get when I unzip the source code. I haven't run across these before.
jfp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can restore like this:

Code:
$ set proc/par=ext
$ back python-2_5_1-vms-src.bck/sav/sel=[python-2^.5^.1...] dev:[root.python-2_5_1...]

this will create on the disk "dev" under the directory "root" a new directory python-2_5_1 which will contains the source tree.

The disk dev must be an ODS5 one.

JF
jfp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Patch for EV4 processor Reply with quote

I have put online a patch which contains most of the .exe compiled for EV4 processor type.

http://www.pi-net.dyndns.org/anonymous/kits/axp/py251ev4_patch.zip

JF
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vmspython.org Forum Index -> Python for OpenVMS All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: